Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

Tuesday 8th November

In attendance:
Huw Morris
Ralph Grimble
Tom Fowler
Simon Canter
Joe Platt
Steve Sykes


Nicht die Bohne
Simon was going to be late, so while we waited, the five of us had a quick round of Night die Bohne. Steve, Ralph and I had played before, while the game was new for Joe and Tom. We observed a strict "no table talk" rule for the game, since I find it more fun to play that way. Steve won the game with a huge score. I was second. Beyond that, I can't remember, except that Joe had somehow managed a negative score!

After one round Simon arrived. We had six, so we split into two groups of three.

In the Shadow of the Emperor
I played this with Tom and Simon. I have to confess that the game started off as a bit of a shambles. I had only played this once before, and that was some time ago. The other two had never played. Thus, we started the game with no real idea of what to do. It was only in rounds 2 and 3 that we really started to pick it up, so it's probably fair to call this a learning game. Normally, I reckon I'm pretty good at describing how to play for new players. In this case, I'm afraid I made a right pig's ear of it!

I won the game, though I'm not at all sure what I did to win. Probably, since I'd played the game before, I remembered the quirky scoring, where you mainly score points for winning a new elector, rather than holding on to an existing elector. By the time the other two cottoned on, I already had a big lead. I don't think there's a huge advantage of actually being the Emperor, since it effectively takes one of your pieces out of play, and none of us were playing strategically enough to take real advantage.

In retrospect, I think this is one of those games which is much better with 4 than 3. I'll try to being it out again before we've all completely forgotten how to play, but only when there are exactly 4 players.

Ticket to Ride
Joe had brought along Ticket to Ride, so he played that with Ralph and Steve. I don't know what happened in that game, but I think Joe won. The three of them finished well before Shadow of the Emperor had finished, so had time for a game of Fluxx as well.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?