Wednesday, October 04, 2006

 

Tuesday 26th September

In attendance:
Huw Morris
Adrian Barnard
Ralph Grimble
Simon Canter
Rick Appleton
Steve Sykes


After a couple of weeks of not finishing our games, I was absolutely determined that we would actually finish a game this week, so I brought along some of the shorter games in my collection. I learned that Steve was on his way, but would be late, so we started off with a quick game of Bluff while we waited.

Bluff (aka Liar's Dice)
There's not a whole lot you can say about Bluff. The usual probability-stretching distributions, the usual terrible bids (which often as not paid off!) Simon was out first, quickly followed by Rick. I was third, leaving Adrian and Ralph left with one die each. That's a bit of a crapshoot really. Adrian went first, bid incorrectly and Ralph won.

Steve turned up, so we quickly taught him how to play (which takes, ooh about 30s) and had another game. Steve was a bit unlucky and was out first, so he was told to rummage through the game bag and set up whichever game he preferred. I was out second, so joined Steve in the next game, and Rick was third. I didn't see who won - perhaps one of the remaining players can enlighten me as to what
happened next?
(From Adrian:)
Bluff game 2: The second game again ended up with Adrian vs. Ralph, I
seem to remember having two dice to one on this one, with the
predictable result of a win. So that's a 2nd/5 and 1st/6 for me.

Through the Desert
Steve, Rick and I played this, as the first three players out of the previous game. Only I had played before, and that was some time ago, so I had to read the instructions again while teaching. Rick won the first game, as I quickly found my camels all hemmed in. We had a second game, which I won, with Rick and Steve equal second.

Carcassonne
Carcassonne using the 'free' river expansion, saw Adrian, Ralph and
Simon playing. Adrian gradually fell significantly behind, a super large
city complex being 'taken over' ahead of completion by Ralph saw a
counter move from Adrian that would cease completion while getting him
back into it and denying Simon the farming points. Up until the end
Simon looked like he would win it on farms, Ralph was desperate for a
curved road on grass to allow his overturning of Simons dominance of
much of the board in this respect. Adrian took great delight in
continually drawing these tiles out and placing them away from Ralphs
last gasp plan.

Ralphs last draw saw a curved road on grass and this removed Simons
points while boosting Ralphs over most of the board. Positions Ralph 1st
Simon 2nd Adrian 3rd (that's a way, way back 3rd which is likely why I
totally forgot to record the scores) Ralphs final tile had almost wiped
my farm results out in their entirety losing me around 20 - 24 points.

The one game of Carcassone took approximately the same length of time as the two games of Through the Desert. Adrian departed, but the rest of us stayed on for a game of Frank's Zoo. We agreed to play the basic rules, finishing at 11pm (rather than 20 points as in the rules.)

Frank's Zoo
Frank's Zoo is always a fun game to play, and this was no exception. It was most memorable for the frankly dominating performance of Ralph. We had time for 4 rounds in all, and Ralph was first in 2, and second in the other 2, giving a score of 14 out of the 16 possible. Miles back in second was Rick with 8, then Simon, Steve and myself with 6. Is it a game of skill or luck? Obviously with my score, I'd say luck...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?